Monday 5 July 2010

Who Understands You?

Do you ever feel that no-one understands you?  As much as you try to articulate your argument, the words seem insufficient and dont quite come out as you would wish?

Okay, I know I`m in a lull, a depressive void, a stressy mood, whatever you want to call it, but what frustrates me more than anything is the fact that I seem unable to articulate properly or is it just that I do not have the ability or vocabularly to voice the true meaning of what I am trying to say?!  Do I really have to search out a fellow depressive to find someone who can actually understand me?

People say "surround yourself with positivity" - maybe they dont live in the real world.  Have they tried living one single day in my shoes?  Or there is always the very helpful suggestion that "maybe you shouldnt think about what you dont have and focus on what you do have".  Well, yes! -  on a positive day, that is possible.  But when you feel under attack from all angles it is not quite so easy and straight-forward to implement.

I have been accused of many things this week, some of which have emotionally bruised me and some that have left me wondering and indeed worrying just how my family perceive me.  Oh, we have our moments of great joy, love and fun - usually with me being the target of ridicule and mimicry - which I have learnt to take good-humouredly.  This week however, I feel as if my ideas have been misconstrued by my darling daughter and some of the things she said stung like the sting of a vicious bee.  After the initial pain, the feeling of despair deep in my soul is somewhat debilitating.  She didnt understand what I meant! And I dont have the emotional energy to correct it, to argue my point!

Oh, I`ll get over it - I always do!  But do I really?  No-one knows because no-one really understands me!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan,

    I so relate to what you are saying above. As much as I like to think I articulate things well in the spoken and written word, often people, especially online, will take a different meaning from the one I intended, and I end up feeling frustrated, and sometimes making things worse by trying to explain. We all, to a certain extent, feel that people don't understand us, and I guess it's impossible to get into anyone's head, but more people feel that than we realise, so it's important to realise that we are not alone xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.