Saturday 12 June 2010

World Cup 2010

International Football involving England is definitely not for the weak hearted.  Oh, the game started reasonably well, we even managed a goal in the fourth minute.  A stunner from our own captain, no less; then the game took on the familiar pattern of Englishmen abroad.  The commentator described it brilliantly when he called it a "rollercoaster" game. 
I sat in my daughter`s lounge willing our team to do well.  When Gerrards` shot hit the back of the net, myself my son and my son-in-law cheered loudly and sprang to our feet.  The baby screamed in shock and my daughter yelled in annoyance as we three grabbed our horns and blew them loudly in celebration.  We just couldnt contain our excitement at the prospect of winning this first game of the championship. 
Our celebration was short-lived as we returned to our seats to continue watching the game.   Exasperation led to annoyance as each opportunity to score again was scuppered  by a misskick, a failed attempt at passing the ball accurately to another team member, or sloppy footwork. 
Half time was only five minutes away when disaster struck.  Our goalie fluffed what appeared to be an easy attempt at scoring by the Americans, and the ball rolled agonisingly slowly across the line behind him.  Again we yelled - this time in total dismay and disbelief.  Again the baby cried.
We kidded ourselves that the second half would produce more goals from our lads in South Africa, but it was not to be and the truth and reality of our swift demise was soon evident.  We willed our players to score again, offering advice at the television as if we were football managers ourselves, but to no avail.  By the end of the match our previously high spirits were broken, our hopes in tatters.
The red and white wig my son had proudly worn for most of the day was ripped off his head and unceremoniously dumped behind him on the sofa. He was so disappointed.  The horns we had blown so loudly and energetically stood untouched on the dining table.  I seriously considered removing the St George flag from my car as we left to go home, such was our dismay.
"See you on Friday for the next match" called my daughter as I opened the car door.  My eyes rolled skyward.  "Okay Honey", I replied. "Dont forget the horns!".  Well, we can only live in hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.