Monday 24 January 2011

"Goodbye Mum" x

A friend commissioned me to pen a poem symbolising her devastating sorrow and distress at losing her beloved mother.  I had witnessed their closeness for several years and thought deeply about how my friend must be feeling at such a sad time in her life.  Metaphorically I put myself in her place and wrote as if she were my mother and it was my heart that was swollen with overwhelming sorrow.


I want to hold somebody`s hand, someone I knew so well
I want to feel her next to me, her closeness and her smell
I want to laugh and joke with her, to hear her voice once more
I want her to know I love her and need her even more.
I want to celebrate her life, enjoy each memory
Praise her for her strength in life, for taking care of me
For loving my three children, for giving life to me
I want to feel her warmth again, her endless energy.
I want to share her laughter the way we used to do
To joke and have more happy times – to whisper "I love you"
I want to tell my mother how proud I`ll always feel
That she gave us such memories and love that was so real.
I want to be my mother`s child – to hold her close to me
To kiss her cheek so tenderly, the way she did with me
I`m so proud to be her daughter – I hope she was of me

"Goodbye" Dear Mum – I Love You
with me you`ll always be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.