Wednesday 28 October 2009

My Daughter in Labour

My youngest daughter is in labour as I sit and type. My day today and the night before has been peppered with unwanted, wild thoughts and strangulated moments of what can only be described as "blind panic" at the thought of her having to go through what I went through many years ago, to give birth. Purposely I arranged to meet up with friends who I knew would be capable of focussing my mind on other things in a bid to reduce and calm my increasing stress levels. It worked, I enjoyed the chat and tea and for a very short while was able to feel slightly normal again.


My daughter kept her promise to inform and update me of various procedures she went through before, during and after the inducement of labour for her first child. The tinkling sound of each text message received from her brought excitement and anticipation. Secretly I hoped I would read "She`s here Mum!" - but not yet. I must wait.

Selfishly I wanted it to be over before it began. At some points in the long day I allowed my own fears to envelope me, to send me spinning in a spiral of fear and trepidation. Uncontrollable envisoned horrors swirled around in my head until I slammed the psychological door, shutting them out, not permitting them to poison my frantic mind.

I know I must rest, she says she is resting despite being in labour. I am so proud of how together she is - why cant I be?

They so want this baby. They have planned, prepared and practised their parenting ideas to perfection. The room is ready, the cot is ready, the clothes are ready, the home is ready, they are ready!

Tommorrow will come and with it the child they so want; so deserve, to complete them as a truly wonderful couple, who will share their bubble of contentment and happiness and I must be grateful that my daughter has chosen so well and is about to join the most blessed and sacred club of all - Motherhood.

1 comment:

  1. The best of luck to your daughter - hope her labour is not too long (I've been there twice myself and it was nice & short for me) and that the baby arrives safe, sound, and soon! Your daughter seems nice & chilled so that will definitely be a help to her as the labour progresses. I can only imagine what you must be going through, worry-wise, and hope that your waiting is over soon :) x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.