Saturday 27 February 2010

Divorced and Free

Last Monday I received the letter I had been waiting for; my divorce absolute certificate.  I received it with a mixture of emotions, none of which were regret or sadness.  I wasn`t euphorically happy, I wasn`t overwhelmingly sad;  I was emotionally settled and accepting. 
 My marriage was akin to going on a long arduous hike - the start was pleasant and my hopes were high of reaching the destination in one piece.  I knew there would be struggles, potholes and times when I would feel completely lost and hopeless, but I believed that the journey would be worth it and and that we would walk the path together avoiding obstacles, strengthening our relationship. Sometimes as we walked on level ground I believed things were going to be okay, and then, from nowhere, would appear a hill for us to climb.  Gradually I realised I was climbing the hill alone, he was happy to stay at the bottom, in the gravel and the mud and when I reached the top, there was no-one there to celebrate with, no-one to to share my achievement.  I guess I am a sentimentalist and romanticist and by the end of the journey, these traits were stretched to breaking point and eventually splintered and shattered along with any dreams of happiness and contentment.  
I wept too many tears within the marriage to weep again at its closure.  I wanted and needed the closure as the alternative was too painful and destructive to consider.  The continuing over-powering sadness, frustrations and despair I experienced whilst I fought to save my non-functioning relationship totally drained me both psychologically and emotionally, leaving scars deeper than the deepest crater. 
I suppose the over-riding emotion I now feel is one of relief that I have infact survived.  I thank God for giving me the strength to do what I had to do and rewarding me with my sanity.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, sorry, only realised you did a blog just now. It's better to get out of a relationship that ultimately will bring you down and maybe drive you into an early grave, and I'm glad you did that. The best of luck for the future and that piece was really well-written

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.